Two weeks ago, my son had to come home early from daycare because of a high fever and body aches, which let me know that we would need to gather our natural resources and some TLC. I used to be the parent who would run to the doctor, only to have them send us home with several medicines. Since we do not get sick often in my house, I knew that I would much rather stick to our natural way of healing, as much as possible, before heading to the doctor or pharmacy for over-the-counter medications. Of course, I wanted to nurse my son back to health, but I also wanted to ensure that no one else in the household caught what he had. Aside from Lysol, which I am also not really for, but my love would not put the can down (insert one huge LOL here), we made it through using natural remedies and lots of cuddles. See below alternatives for Lysol and chemical disinfectant sprays if interested.
The mission was a success! My son’s sickness lasted for about 48 hours, and then he was back to his normal self, without spreading his germ-love to anyone else. While I will say that a healthy immune system for all of us in the home is due credit, there were also a few natural remedies that I tried, to limit the spreading of germs, and to get my Sun back to optimal health.
Sidenote: this post is not to take place of your regular physician or health care provider. It is also not suggested that you stay home suffering if you do not know how to regulate illness for self or your child(ren). This information is a great way to use and research natural remedies if you are transitioning to a more holistic way of living. It is also important to note that a regular healthy, clean, diet makes the use of these natural remedies more effective when combating any illness, which is why it worked for us so easily. If pregnant or nursing, be sure to do extra research before using any new remedies.
Boil about 2 cups of water (for 1 serving). Add sliced dry or fresh lemon grass sticks, which can be found at most grocery stores. Slice a lemon in half, and squeeze the juice into the hot water. Also place a few slices in the water. Crush and slice a few pieces of fresh ginger root, and add to water. Organic, raw honey may be added to help sooth throat, and also acts as cough syrup, sleep aid, energy booster, and antioxidant supplement. If you are vegan, the raw honey can be omitted, and organic agave nectar can be replaced for light sweetener. Allow ingredients to steep for a few minutes, and then enjoy. I like to keep everything floating in my water as I drink, but you can also strain, and drink as well.
Mix together 2-3 drops of eucalyptus essential oil (preferably organic grade, but regular is just fine too), aloe vera gel (organic if using from the bottle, or you can just break off a part of your aloe vera stem from the plant itself and scoop out the gel), 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder, a squeeze of a sliced orange (or orange essential oil), and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. The mixture can be thick, and smooth- or thin and more runny, it really just depends on how you like it. Apply the rub to chest, sinus areas around nose and under eyes, and other pressure points as needed.
Mix together 2 drops of peppermint essential oil, 2 drops of lavender essential oil, 2 drops of eucalyptus essential oil, and 1/2 cup of of almond (carrier) oil. This oil mixture can be used on body after a bath, focusing on the chest, neck, throat, and head areas to sooth any aches or blockages.
Mix together 1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt, 1 teaspoon of sea salt, and 1-2 cups of warm water (I prefer the water to be hot, but just enough to be able to gargle with). Stir the mixture until the salt is dissolved completely. Gargle, focusing on the back of the throat area, for about 60 seconds. Spit. This helps with any sore throat or aches in the mouth.
As you are running your bath water, pour in 1/3 cup of Himalayan salt, 2 tablespoons of sea salt, 1/3 cup of Epson salt, 4 drops of eucalyptus essential oil, 3 drops of peppermint essential oil, a few lemongrass stems, and 1/2 cup of freshly sliced ginger. Soak in the tub for 20 minutes, practicing deep-breathing, and focusing on the release of toxins. For children, allow them to sit in the tub for 10-15 minutes playing with their toys, or doing whatever brings them the most comfort in the moment.
Licorice root tea acts as a pain reliever, upper respiratory cleanser, and anti-viral medicine. The root stems or dried tea pieces (about 2 teaspoons) can be seeped in hot water, strained, and consumed in moderation. It is said that consuming too much (more than about 3 cups a day) can cause unwanted side effects, and pregnant women should not take this at all. Be mindful that anything in excess is not good for the body, as balance should always be considered.
For a 24oz spray bottle (cut measurements in half for a 12oz bottle): Add 5 drops of lemon essential oil, 4 drops of orange essential oil, 4 drops of pine essential oil, 3 drops of tea tree essential oil, the rest with water. I also read, but have not tried, that using regular vodka alcohol in place of water will kill even more germs. This mixture can be used on most surfaces, once sprayed and wiped down, focusing on door knobs, counters, and high-contact areas.
Extra tips & tricks
- Have family members place coats, shoes, and other things worn outside the house in one location (mud room, closet, laundry room, etc.) and be sure to wash frequently, especially with the little ones who are at school/daycare during the day.
- Plants in the home help purify the air, such as aloe vera, spider plant, bamboo, peace lily, to name a few.
- Open windows, get fresh air circulating often.
- Sage/cleanse spiritual space frequently
- Crystals: clear quartz, carnelian, fluorite, aventurine (may be placed under pillow while asleep, in bath, and made with water or tea for special elixirs.)
- Himalayan salt lamp also help to cleanse space and air of impurities. Placing one near the bed also helps with restful sleep.
- Diet: oranges, lemons, fresh fruits & leafy vegetables, spring or alkaline water, herbal teas. Limit caffeinated and sugary drinks/foods especially during times when the immune system could be compromised. No dairy items, as the mucous is a breeding ground for more germs.
- Sleep & LOVE: always be sure to get adequate rest, and to allow the little ones to sleep as much as they need. Loving, healing touches for self and children also help to speed up the healing process. Chanting something like, “I send healing to my body, and I know that I will be healed,” will direct the positive energy to where it needs to go.
- Receive reiki healing regularly to keep the body and spirit clear. It also helps to get reiki treatment while you are sick, as it compliments the medicines that you are taking.
It’s a wrap! Remember to research, and try what works best for you and your family. There are infinite resources and ideas for natural remedies, as the earth is here to heal us! Let us know if you try anything, and what worked for you.
Love Revolution & Light